The Virginia Guide By Your Side Program is hosting a regional Meet & Greet for families of young children (0-10 years old) who are deaf/hard of hearing on Saturday, October 18 at John Tyler Community College, Chester campus from 10 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. If you know of any families whose children are deaf/hard of hearing and under 10 years of age, and especially those who live within driving distance to Chester, please share the attached flyer.
At this free Meet & Greet, families can:
- Meet other families,
- Visit local and state exhibitors, including HankMillard, Coordinator of Special Education and Parent Involvement at VDOE
- Pick up free resources and materials,
- Learn more about (and play with) service dogs,
- Get expert advice on communication modalities,
- Snack on refreshments, and
- Enjoy seeing their children play with other children who are d/hh!
Meet & Greet events in Fredericksburg and Virginia Beach were each attended by 20+ families. GBYS must have at least 15 families register by October 10 or this event may be cancelled. Please encourage families to RSVP by October 15, 2014.
Additional questions can be directed to Irene Schmalz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the GBYS program and its resources by visiting www.centerforfamilyinvolvement.org (click on Family to Family Network tab; click on Guide By Your Side link on left).
Videos of families participating in the previous Meet & Greets can be found at www.centerforfamilyinvolvement.org (click on Resources tab; click on Videos link on left; scroll down to Hearing Impairment videos; use the blue arrow buttons to advance to more videos).