EEOC TO HOLD DISABILITY SYMPOSIUM ON SEPT. 26
Sen. Tom Harkin to Headline Discussion in Commemoration of 40th Anniversary
of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
WASHINGTON – On Thursday, Sept. 26, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the U.S. Department of Labor will hold a public symposium from 12-5 p.m. entitled “The Past, Present, and Future of the Rehabilitation Act” at EEOC headquarters at 131 M Street, NE Washington, D.C. 20507.
Distinguished speakers will include Senator Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), as well as EEOC Chair Jacqueline Berrien, Commissioner Chai Feldblum, and other experts on disability issues. Other invited speakers include:
- Debra Carr, Director of the Division of Policy, Planning and Program Development for the Office of the Federal Contract Compliance Programs, U.S. Dept. of Labor
- Judith Heumann, Special Advisor, International Disability Rights, U.S. Dept. of State
- Claudia Gordon, Public Engagement Advisor on Disability, Office of Public Engagement, The White House
- Jeff Rosen, Chairperson, National Council on Disability
- John Wodatch, retired Chief, Disability Rights Section, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Dept. of Justice
- Robert Silverstein, Attorney, Powers, Pyles, Sutter & Verville PC
- Ruby Moore, Executive Director, The Georgia Advocacy Office
Organizations who have an interest in the employment of individuals with disabilities will also exhibit in the hall outside of the symposium, beginning at noon. To reserve a space, e-mail RSVPAnderson@eeoc.gov.
Seating for the event is limited, so you must RSVP and request any accommodations by sending an e-mail to FederalTrainingandOutreach@eeoc.gov and typing “Rehab Act Event RSVP” in the subject line. It is suggested that visitors arrive 30 minutes before the event begins in order to be processed through security and escorted to the meeting room. The event agenda is subject to revision.
The EEOC is the federal government agency responsible for enforcing anti-discrimination laws in the workplace. Further information about the EEOC is available at www.eeoc.gov.
Distributed 2013 by Northern Virginia Resource Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons (NVRC), 3951 Pender Drive, Suite 130, Fairfax, VA 22030; www.nvrc.org; 703-352-9055 V, 703-352-9056 TTY, 703-352-9058 Fax. Items in this newsletter are provided for information purposes only; NVRC does not endorse products or services. You do not need permission to share this information, but please be sure to credit NVRC. This news service is free of charge, but donations are greatly appreciated.