Did you know that health care reform means people without insurance can start enrolling in the Health Insurance Marketplace on October 1?
Virginia Organizing wants to make sure that people all over Virginia know about the new Health Insurance Marketplace and we think you can help!
We’ve come up with a few helpful tips on how to talk to your family members and friends about health care while you’re waiting for the burgers, hot dogs and veggie burgers to finish cooking! You can also take a look at our helpful flyer by clicking here.
Thanks for your help on getting the word out about health care reform and the new benefits for thousands and thousands of people!
Virginia Organizing’s Helpful Tips for Talking About Health Insurance
1. Start by asking your family members and friends if they already have health insurance or if they will need to enroll. If they already have insurance, there is no need for them to do anything unless they are looking to change plans!
2. It might be helpful to share a health experience you had. For example, “Remember when Uncle Bob was in the hospital for his heart? He would have lost his house without health insurance!”
3. Be sure to point out that October 1, 2013 is the start of open enrollment for the new Health Insurance Marketplace and the sooner people enroll, the sooner they will start receiving coverage (as early as January 1, 2014).
4. Not everyone is happy with the new reforms. Make sure you stay on topic by acknowledging concerns with the law but also stating that it is the law and most people without health insurance will need to be covered or face a penalty tax.
- Find out what plans you are eligible for
- Learn more about health insurance terms used
- Starting this fall, you can compare plans and prices
- Get answers to your questions about health insurance and your eligibility
6. Ask your family and friends to share this information with those they know. Almost everyone must have health insurance to avoid paying a penalty tax. The more people who know, the more people will be covered come January 1, 2014.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Bob Becker, one of our organizers who is doing a lot of work on health care reform. Bob can be reached at email@example.com or 804-937-0752.
Virginia Organizing State Governing Board Member
703 Concord Avenue
Charlottesville, VA 22903-5208
(434) 984-4655 • (434) 984-2803 fax www.virginia-organizing.org
Distributed 2013 by Northern Virginia Resource Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons (NVRC), 3951 Pender Drive, Suite 130, Fairfax, VA 22030; www.nvrc.org; 703-352-9055 V, 703-352-9056 TTY, 703-352-9058 Fax. Items in this newsletter are provided for information purposes only; NVRC does not endorse products or services. You do not need permission to share this information, but please be sure to credit NVRC. This news service is free of charge, but donations are greatly appreciated.